It’s hard to know exactly what your role will be as a grandparent until you’re blessed with your first grandchild. You hold that little bundle in your arms and realize that it is possible to love another human being more than your own child. Proud lineage is being passed down to a new generation. Thank you to all Grandparents as humanity continues its endless journey in the footsteps of the wise.
The feelings of love blossom when you realize you can do so much more with your grandchildren than you could with your own kids. You were focused on the bills, putting food on the table, making sure they minded their manners and did all their homework. But now, you have the full benefits of being the one who sneaks them candy when their mother says to wait for dinner or buy them that really cool toy when their parents say it will spoil them. It’s also a bonus when you finally get the opportunity to see your grandchild give the same sass to their parents that they gave to you growing up.
Grandparents have been put into different roles lately and it’s understandable. With expensive daycare and the economy forcing both parents to work, it’s even harder to find someone to watch their children. So, grandparents have come to the rescue in many ways. You pick up your grandchildren from school, prepare their afternoon snacks, and watch them until their parents pick them up.
Or perhaps, you dedicate your weekends helping out so your own child and their spouse can take care of their errands. Either way, you are stepping up and we truly appreciate everything you are doing.
Reasons for a thank you to all grandparents;
- You are there to wipe dirty faces and dry tears.
- You are available when we need a weekend to ourselves.
- You provide an endless array of candy that we never once ate as children. But we are glad you spoil our kids.
- You teach our children to love and respect their elders in a time when many are becoming rude.
- You are fun enough that our children light up when we tell them they are visiting you.
- You make delicious meals that nourish them in ways we sometimes forget.
- You are there to lean on when we become overwhelmed and frustrated with parenting.
- You remind us that the days are long, but the years are short.
- You are our free babysitter and sometimes even our daycare center when we simply can’t afford it.
- You take them places that you used to take us as children. You enjoy the long lines at the zoo or amusement park because it brings back bittersweet memories for you.
We give a thank you to all grandparents for being amazing role models and inspiring mentors. For being there for us without giving it a second thought.